Monday, September 19, 2011

Dreamhack Valencia!

Some actual coverage of actual Esports in action!  Dreamhack Valencia was held on Saturday!  I didn't get to watch most of it, but I made sure to watch the finals.  Looking at the opening brackets, I had a completely different idea about who would advance to the end.  First off, I thought Huk would do much better.  Back in Dreamhack summer, Huk took the championship, becoming one of the few foreigners to win an international tournament against Korean players.  I was very disappointed when he lost to Thorzain in his first match up, but that just cleared the way for one of my new favorite players, THORZAIN.  Oh man, this guy was crazy during this tournament.  Apparently sending foreigners to Korea to learn is becoming more common after Team Liquid moved in with the oGs team, training with them and producing some very good players.  Thorzain really shined, and I was rooting for him to be the winner.  In the next matchup, I didn't care for either player.  I'd never heard of Moon, and I don't really care about Idra. Then there was Rain vs. Naniwa.  I like both of these players, but I had a feeling that Rain would take it.  And closing out the first round were two players I hadn't heard of, Lucifron and DonRaeGu.  I didn't know what to expect from DRG, but his Zerg play was intense, especially in the final.  



SPOILERS!: If anyone cares.

Okay, the finals were amazing!  It was so close, Thorzain using his slow, deliberate Terran play against DRG and his crazy Zerg control.  So much happened in these games that I didn't see coming!  Ultralisks! Who would ever think that we would see Ultras!  The mutalisk clouds were so ridiculously annoying, so much harass and for the most part, Thorzain just couldn't take them down.  There were so many parts in these games where I just couldn't sit still.  Whenever Thorzain repelled an attack, the crowd just went crazy, and I totally understand why!  But really, both of these players were very entertaining to watch and DRG did amazing!  

Apollo and Totalbiscuit are a great casting team, I hope that they work together more in the future.  Apollo is great at talking tactics while TB is very entertaining as the color commentator.  Down below I'm gonna throw up some links, in case anyone wants to watch the VODs of any matches.  





No comments:

Post a Comment